About Me

My photo
What is there to say? I am a 24 year old student pursuing a degree in nutrition/dietetics. I happen to be a caring person. I care about people, animals, and the environment. I enjoy learning. I love to learn from others. I enjoy reading and watching documentaries about health, psychology, philosophy, religion, politics, and nature. Welcome to this little veg*n's world = )

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Being vegetarian in a non-vegetarian home

I must see this question over and over and over again. In fact, it was a question I once pondered as I grew up in a non-vegetarian family. I didn't date any vegetarians either. Thankfully, on his own accord, my boyfriend decided to go strict vegetarian. Before that, I had no idea how life could be so easy in respect to the kitchen.

So...if you are living under your parents roof going by their rules, what can you do? Maybe you've been married for years and suddenly decide to go vegetarian- what about the rest of your household?

Well...I'm in no position to say "do this" or "if you do this, everything will work out fine". However, I can give some tips and advice to help in these situations. Each person's relationship is different among household members but I hope this helps!

*Be up front and honest. You might as well go ahead and fill them in. People might start suspecting something when you don't touch the meat on your plate for a month. It's wise to be up front and honest with those you live with- after all, it helps build mutual respect. This is the perfect time to tell the people you love why you want to go vegetarian. I suggest keeping it simple and genuine. Explain to others how going vegetarian makes you feel. Don't judge or condemn others because people dislike being preached to or having ideas pushed upon them. I wouldn't go into great detail of the horrors that is animal cruelty, etc. unless others show genuine interest and can handle the information you want to share. This isn't about converting- it's about getting support.

*To each their own. Consider the other person(s) point of view. Consider how these changes will affect the flow of the household (budget, grocery shopping, cooking, stress, etc.) Respect their reasons for not wanting to or having to compromise.

*Get the facts. No matter your reason for going vegetarian, have the facts- especially the health ones. A lot of people have the idea that vegetarianism is unhealthy. I suggest doing a lot of reading. I have some wonderful helpful links for good readings, if interested. For your own safety, it is good to know the RDIs(Recommended Daily Intakes) for your body and how to get them. When you know this, it is easy to explain to others how you can stay healthy and get adequate nutrients. I suggest getting advice from a dietician, healthcare physician, or websites from the medical and scientific communities.

*Transitioning or Avoiding. If you are trying to make the transition or avoiding the products you dislike, there are a lot of options. You can use fake meats, alternative dairy products, and so forth. My old trick was eating the side dishes on the table and not the entree- it seems to me that side dishes are often vegetarian.

*Do it yourself. Make the money, make the grocery list, do the cooking. Making money can be hard if you are under 16 so this doesn't always work out. For me, my parents supported my decision and purchased veggie items. If you are able to do some odd jobs, get a summer job, or spend your own money you can purchase what you want. The complications could be, however, budgeting wisely for other household members if needed and making the grocery list before-hand- it can really save some money, time, and frustration.

*Learn about the foods. Buy a cookbook, find vegan-friendly items by reading online, and research what ingredients to avoid, and substitutions. I suggest ordering a free vegetarian/vegan starter kit.

*Consider making considerations. A vegetarian diet just won't fly in all households and while some of us might sit back and go "what?" and what I'm about to say, I think it is true: The stress this creates might not be worth the decision. I stick with my thoughts on not judging others too harshly because I have not walked in their shoes and this is just one of those cases. So...consider going flexitarian and avoid meat when you can because any effort is better than none. Bargaining is good too- consider cooking some of the meals and make some of the items or all of the meal vegetarian. Considering working out a deal like trying it for a month with cooperation from others in the household- then let what happens happen because chances are, if you eat vegetarian an entire month and have only positive side effects, others will be more willing to accept your decision.

This is all I have so far. I will probably add to this. Please feel free to comment or add your own tips/guidance.

No comments: