About Me

My photo
What is there to say? I am a 24 year old student pursuing a degree in nutrition/dietetics. I happen to be a caring person. I care about people, animals, and the environment. I enjoy learning. I love to learn from others. I enjoy reading and watching documentaries about health, psychology, philosophy, religion, politics, and nature. Welcome to this little veg*n's world = )

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango and Nectarine

This is a great dessert- when I chose to make it I thought it would be light and perfect for summer. Admittedly, you can make this for any time of year. Andrew and I both agreed that my version tastes a lot like peach cobbler and not sweet sticky rice with mango and peach.

So, this recipe is a modification of the famous Thai dessert with sticky rice, coconut cream/milk, and mango. Enjoy = )

Sweet sticky rice:
Rice (short grained- think sushi rice) cooked per it's own directions (which happened to be 2 cups rice, 4 cups water, a splash of olive oil and salt- boil then drain).
Drain rice.
Pour rice in container.
Add 1 tbsp rice vinegar.
Fluff.
Let cool 10 minutes.

Sweet Mango and Nectarine mixture:
In a saucepan combine
1/2 cup soy milk (this is often when coconut milk or coconut creme is used)
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Mango, sliced thin or as desired
1 Nectarine, sliced thin or as desired
Bring to boiling, then
Simmer on low heat for 6 minutes, stirring the slices of mango and nectarine

Add the sweet mixture to the sticky rice- it should evenly coat it like a syrup and not drown the rice.

Personally, I think this called for some ice cream. It definately reminded us of peach cobbler so ice cream or something creamy and cold would just make this luscious. Enjoy = )

No comments: