About Me

My photo
What is there to say? I am a 24 year old student pursuing a degree in nutrition/dietetics. I happen to be a caring person. I care about people, animals, and the environment. I enjoy learning. I love to learn from others. I enjoy reading and watching documentaries about health, psychology, philosophy, religion, politics, and nature. Welcome to this little veg*n's world = )

Monday, June 02, 2008

Soy: Potentially dangerous?

According to http://www.soytoy.com/soydanger.html, soy products are potentially dangerous. However, the article does not state that soy beans are dangerous. In fact, it seems to encourage us to get a soymilk-making machine and make our own as stated "Soymilk should NOT cost you more than $2 per quart asit does in most supermarkets. Not when wholesale beanbuyers can purchase those soybeans that yield onequart of soymilk for less than a penny".

*** My opinion: The more I read about potential danger for soy, the more I am considering making my own soy milk or at least, as recommended, purchase those only made from whole soy beans (not the powders and what not the article warns against). Keep in mind, the article is written by a company that sells Soy milk machines and *may* be biased.

I have been reading a lot about this controversy- so much that it makes my head hurt.

***My opinion: I have come to the conclusion that unfermented soy products in small portions, along with a healthy & diversified diet should be ok. Also, breastfeeding is far better than feeding a baby any other substitute.

There is a lot out there. I am noticing a lot of people claiming that the dairy and meat industry pay and/or encourage authors/speakers/media to discredit the soy industry. And so, now I, like many others, are forced to pick through the dirt to find out what is true and what is false- don't you love politics?

I'll be doing more research and adding to this but here are my questions for you!

***updated:
According to the information in this article: http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/articles/Soy-and-Breast-Cancer.php it seems that American women can safely consume up to 15g of soy a day. I pulled out my current soymilk from the fridge. It contains 6.5 g soy/serving (which is 8 oz.) I usually don't drink a full 8 oz. of soymilk a day and am monitoring how much I do consume daily as I am trying to stay under 10g daily. I feel that staying under that amount and eating as whole as possible, the risk of negative effects of consuming too much soy to be minimal.

1. Do you think soy is potentially dangerous?

2. What do you think about infant formulas?

3. What is going on in the politics of vegetarian industries vs. meat & dairy industries?

4. How do we know who we can trust? I'm asking for some solid proof here- studies, sources, etc. IF YOU GOT IT = )

5. Is this going to change any of your dietary habits? Which ones?

No comments: