About Me

My photo
What is there to say? I am a 24 year old student pursuing a degree in nutrition/dietetics. I happen to be a caring person. I care about people, animals, and the environment. I enjoy learning. I love to learn from others. I enjoy reading and watching documentaries about health, psychology, philosophy, religion, politics, and nature. Welcome to this little veg*n's world = )

Monday, June 23, 2008

Perfect Pancakes, Mmmmmm!

Ever since moving into our new, little apartment I have been making pancakes almost every morning. I guess I am making it up to myself since I denied myself pancakes for almost 2 years (I still can't find what I am allergic to in them but at least it just makes me sneeze and everyone else laugh!). I have tried recipe after recipe on boxes and online. Now, after using some cues from those recipes and trying my own, this is what I have come up with:

The 10 step pancakes!

You will need:
1 tbsp butter/margarine/substitute
1 tbsp vegetable oil/canola oil/any oil you want
2 eggs OR egg replacer (I use Ener-G egg replacer so please read my directions = )
2 cups milk or soy milk
1/3 sugar or sweetener of choice
2 cups of pancake mix

1. Buy a vegan-friendly mix (or make your own if you aren't as lazy as me = )
*** I like Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancake/Waffle Mix or Betty Crocker Bisquick (information provided by http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/VeganShoppingQS-Baking.asp?Category=Baking). If not vegan, Whole Foods 365 Old Fashioned Pancake & Waffle mix is good (has milk but no eggs).
2. Get out a bowl to mix everything in. It needs to be able to hold at least 6 cups of water.
3. In bowl, combine 1 tbsp butter/margarine/substitute ( I LOVE LOVE LOVE Smart Balance Light or you might like Earth Balance), 1 tbsp vegetable/canola oil/any oil without too much flavor, 1 cup milk/soy milk (I use vanilla flavored soy milk).
4. Because I use Ener-G egg replacer, I heat up these ingredients then add 2 tsp egg replacer. You may choose to use real eggs or bananas/other egg replacer and don't have to heat up. If so, just skip to next step.
5. Once egg replacer is added, whisk or stir.
6. Add 1 cup milk/soy milk.
7. Add 1/3 cup of sugar or sweetener of choice.
8. Add 2 cups of the mix
9. Stir or whisk together until most lumps are gone. Add: Cinnamon (1 tbsp) & Applesauce (2 tbsp), 1/2 cup Blueberries (great with blueberry syrup!), or 1/3 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
10. ENJOY!!!

Please let me know if you made this and what you think!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may like the recipes on www.vegweb.com, too. I've been using that site as a valuable resource since making the switch. I'm going to have to try your recipe, too!


Nikki